Buying an engagement ring is not only one of the biggest investments you’ll ever make, it is also one of the ultimate symbol of commitment you can give aside from marriage. As such, you want your engagement ring to show your love and loyalty, and one of the best ways to do that is by choosing a Celtic engagement ring.
Celtic art is known for its complex knots, interlacing patterns and various symbols inspired by designs from Celtic manuscripts like The Book of Kells. It is one of the fastest growing art forms, influencing everything from tattoos and logos to church ornaments and engagement rings.
Popular Forms of Celtic Rings
Two of the most recognizable forms of Celtic art are the Celtic knots and the Claddagh. Celtic knots usually have no discernible beginning or end, which can represent permanence or the intertwining of lives.
Claddagh rings on the other hand has a more obvious meaning.
It features two hands clasping a heart surmounted by a crown, the hands signifying friendship, the heart signifying love, and a crown signifying loyalty.
Because of the meaning associated with these designs, they have become a popular choice for engagement rings.
As more and more people discover the charm and unique designs of Celtic rings, many jewelry shops have started including Celtic engagement rings in their offerings.
As with any major purchase, there are a few things to consider when choosing your ring.
Things to Consider When Choosing Your Celtic Ring
- Authenticity – Celtic rings are not only available in Celtic jewelry stores because most manufacturers export popular pieces to major markets like the United States and Canada. If you are concerned about authenticity, you can determine the authenticity of your ring by making sure that it is hallmarked by the Dublin Assay office.
- Manufacturer – A quick search on the internet for Celtic rings offers a huge variety of choices, but it is recommended to buy your Celtic jewelry direct from jewelers to avoid being sold low quality items. Most manufacturers are also open to custom made jewelry where you can work with the manufacturer for completely unique pieces.
- Stones – The emerald stone has always been associated with Ireland, but most jewelers work with other stones as well including diamonds.
A quick search on the internet will give you thousands of options.
This is a short list of some of the popular places online for purchasing Celtic jewelry.
- Celtic Rings Store – The Celtic Rings Store is one of the largest and most diverse online retailer of Celtic Rings. Most of their rings are handcrafted in Dublin, Ireland and hallmarked in the Assay Office located in Dublin Castle. They also work with customers seeking for custom rings. Depending on the design, material and stone, their Celtic engagement rings vary in price from $580 for a solid 14k yellow gold with an emerald engagement ring, to $4,400 for a solid 14k white gold ring with 0.72 carat diamond piece.
- Irish Celtic Jewels – Irish Celtic Jewels are one of the high end jewelry stores operating out of Ireland. They offer a wide variety of customizable Celtic engagement rings with prices ranging from $1,700 to $4,800.
- My Irish Jeweler – My Irish Jeweler has been trading in Dublin since 1963, and they specialize in Celtic engagement and wedding rings. All their pieces are handmade and stamped authentic Celtic pieces, and their diamonds are guaranteed conflict-free.
- Gaelsong – Gaelsong’s products are deeply rooted in the rich Celtic tradition. Although they are not primarily a jewelry store, they offer Celtic jewelry at more affordable prices. The pieces that they have are often hand-crafted by artisans devoted to keeping Celtic handiwork and design alive.
- Local jewelry stores. Some local jewelry stores also stock Celtic rings, and although they are limited in stock and available design, shopping in stores gives the buyer the opportunity to see and try on the actual pieces.
Buying the Right Celtic Engagement Ring
If you are thinking of surprising your loved one with an engagement ring, keep in mind her taste in jewelry, her personality, and expectations.
Looking through her jewelry box will give you and idea of her preference of metals and stone cuts, and her personality will tell you whether she is a trend setter who will go for untraditional designs, or if she would prefer the conventional engagement ring.
The beauty in Celtic rings is that its design already has the inherent symbolism of commitment, love and devotion, which makes choosing your engagement ring much easier.